Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Make Money Writing: O=Organization

April is all about making money writing. Today is the MOST IMPORTANT post of this series. We've talked about possible avenues to beat an income out of writing. We've gone from articles and anthologies to political commentary. We've talked about how important the market analysis and launch is in fiction. But today's post is essential. The key thing you have to learn for any of this to be successful is organization.
Blah. I hear you. I'm rolling my eyes too, and I don't like it either. Organization often does not sit well with artistic types. Suck it up. Pick up some new skills. Get over it, and do the best you can.
The most likely way for you make a living writing is through some combination of the things we've talked about. That means you will be constantly managing multiple projects. You will have to be organized with your time and tasks. Currently, I work full time. I'm in graduate school. I'm the mother of an active three year old, and I obviously maintain this blog, and I struggle to find time to write. It is a hard balance, and it took me too long to get adjusted to it. To keep my time organized, I try to write side projects and work on publishing stuff on Tuesday and Thursdays. Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays I focus more on my SHU thesis and other homework. Saturday I will tie up what I need to and I try to keep Sundays for family. This is all flexible. On a week, I have less homework I will squeeze out a third writing day. If I really want to write on Monday I'll do homework on Tuesday. I took my daughter to the zoo on a Saturday, so Sunday was my catch up day. But I have a plan.
We said that to make your fiction a success the launch is insanely important. Relaunches rarely work, so you have to do it right the first time. Stay organized. Make a list of things to do that you can check off. Make a list of bloggers to contact. Color code it once you've talked to them. Have a goal each day as you work on your launch. Keep an account of what you're spending. Make sure it's easy for you to look at and understand.
I could probably do a whole series on organization (and maybe later I will) but today I don't have time for that.

What methods do you use to stay organized?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Beth.
    Now here's a funny thing. I'm a carpenter, or should I rather say I manage a carpentry workshop with about 30 odd people working under me, and if I'm not organized? Well you can just imagine. We output two to three jobs a week, some of them in the millions of Rand's so keeping things organized is essential.
    I've stopped trying to earn money from my writing simply because I don't have time and by the time I get home I'm pretty much exhausted. Anyway, I agree, get organized and it'll change your life.
    Blessings from South Africa, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff, I can see that. I'm fortunate enough right now to have a pretty relaxed day job. (But it's temporary and who knows what will happen when it ends). But I know when I've had more stressful day jobs it's been almost impossible to write with any kind of real production.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice, Beth. Organization is one of my problems. I have so many projects going I can't find time for all of them, and I don't have a job or children or anything else to interfere, well, except my spoiled cats. Lately I've been working on a set schedule to work on this story or on that story or for promotion. Your article has inspired me to try harder. Good luck to you, amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete