Wednesday, November 7, 2012

ISWG: Making It Count

The Insecure Writers Support Group is hosted by Alex Cauvanaugh.

I am insecure today. I'm not doing nano, but I have set some goals for November. I'm afraid I won't get through the list. But my bigger fear is that I do get through the list. I do get through another round of edits on my novel. I do write Dhamir(which I've already attempted and failed once). Then I read what I've written or what I've edited, and it sucks. It's back to square one.

This fear is eating me alive, and then behind that fear is the knowledge that I struggle with anxiety. And getting nervous is only going to depress me which will make me more nervous which will destroy more focus which will mean I can't do anything right, which will lead to more anxiety, further depression, more axiesty, less focus. Truth: the mental state will cause the writing to suffer. All I can do is fight through and hope the writing is good enough. And hopefully I can do that. So here's to making November count.

What are your goals this month?

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a negative feedback loop (can you tell I'm studying anatomy today?)

    I've found that the best way to break the negative cycle is getting positive comments. Or coffee. Coffee works well, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, my dear, I've read your work. Your writing far from sucks. Don't let fear take control. You are a great writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I love your falling stars! So cute!

    My goal is to finish my next draft and pass it on to my critique partners. After an eternity of reading one chapter at a time I'm afraid how it will look as a book from beginning to end. But, I remain hopeful that I can pull it off. *biting nails*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely relate to your fears. We all can.

    You've seen my goals for the month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you meet your goals and find satisfaction in setting new ones. (Satisfaction might be easier to achieve if you throw in a few pieces of chocolate :) Good luck! Great IWSG post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your goals are do-able, so try not to freak out. Mastering a craft takes a long time. Cut yourself some slack. None of us can do it overnight. And Kim is right - chocolate helps! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think goals are wonderful, but shouldn't cause you to stress. If you love what you are doing, it will show in your writing. Here's to a great November!

    New GFC follower.

    ReplyDelete