Monday, January 16, 2012

What Do You Think?

This is kind of me relying on someone else's thoughts more so than an original post, but I'd like to know what you think. Dean Wesley Smith has had an amazing career and is a well experienced published writer both traditionally and in self publishing. Now because I don't read Sci-Fi or high fantasy, I only recently stumbled onto his blog, and since then I've found it extremely helpful. Not to mention, when I asked for a bit of writing advice in a comment, he responded.

This week he has a post on the indie writer's 401K. It relies on an investment of words, not money. I don't think it says what you would expect such a post to say, but I found it extremely interesting not to mention motivational. Now I'd like to know what other writers think. I think even if this is something you disagree with, it's an interesting perspective and serves as food for thought. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Beth! I found you via the YALitChat site. Great blog you have, and I appreciate you sharing the link!

    I think writers must invest in their future and the plan he lays out is a pretty good/easy to follow one. I personally work a 10 hour day but make myself write 1-2k words a night on the weekends. I was watching a comedian the other night and at the beginning of his sketch he was giving a speech to his crew and he kept saying, "Everybody wants to be famous, nobody wants to work for it," over and over. It's very true.

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth
    I mostly agree with Smith, bit not totally. He got his start the traditional way, so he already had readers. Thus, he could afford to concentrate less on publicity and marketing! On the other hand, I do think writers spend too much time online and not enough time actually writing. I know I could cut back from social media. But again, there's a time and place for saturating oneself in the market--like when you have a new book out, as I do. The real secret, I feel, is being able to really organize and boundary one's time, so that you can do all of the things that are important--write, hang out with family and friends, spend time online promoting and connecting. His post did remind me to get more writing hours in, so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to echo Catherine's comment. I'm still grappling with how to balance everything and not go bonkers.

    ReplyDelete